Saturday, April 1, 2017

My Hope!


The Psalmist says it poetically, lyrically, “My hope is in the Lord! For with the Lord there is steadfast love, and with him is great power to redeem. I wait for the Lord, my soul waits, and in his word I hope; My hope is in the Lord!” The Psalmist returns to the theme of hope throughout the Book of Psalms. 


It was with this thought in mind that I chose the word “Hope” for the stones we used on the Fourth Sunday in Lent, the service in which we remember the covenantal promises made to us through our baptisms. With just a sprinkling of water, we are welcomed into a life of hope, for we are welcomed into a life with our Lord Jesus Christ.

As our Book of Order reminds us, “In baptism, God claims us and seals us to show that we belong to God. God frees us from sin and death, uniting us with Jesus Christ in his death and resurrection. In baptism, we die to what separates us from God and are raised to newness of life in Christ.” Through our baptisms, we begin a life grounded in hope. As God said through the prophet Jeremiah:  For surely I know the plans I have for you, says the Lord, plans for your welfare and not for harm, to give you a future with hope.”

Lent is the ideal time for us to remind ourselves of this promise of hope. As we go about our Lenten spiritual housecleaning, sweeping away the things in our lives that get between us and God, we can feel the sun emerging as though from behind a dark cloud as we walk again in the light of hope.  We can join our voices with the Psalmist: “For you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust, O Lord, from my youth…I will hope continually.”

The word “hope” means “a feeling of expectation”, and our expectation is that as disciples of Christ, we can know wholeness and peace. Life can throw profound challenges our way and life’s road can be bumpy, pot-holed, winding, even frightening. But still, we can walk in hope, for we walk with our risen Lord.

As the apostles finished their Passover meal with our Lord on the night of his arrest, they would have sung words from Psalm 118: “O give thanks to the Lord, for he is good; his steadfast love endures forever!...Out of my distress I called on the Lord; the Lord answered me…With the Lord on my side, I do not fear….The Lord is God and he has given us light.” Even in the gloom that hung over that meal like thick smoke, the apostles would have sung the Psalmist’s words with hope.

We can walk confidently through life, for through the grace and love of God given us in the living Christ, we walk in hope. So as we look to the joy of Easter, sing out with the Psalmist, “I will rejoice in hope, for you, O Lord, are my hope, my trust!”

Alleluia!
Pastor Skip